Foreign exchange students have the opportunity to continue their ongoing education while living and experiencing the culture abroad. Many students are required to attend high school while being abroad. There are many programs to support them while being there. Eligible students who have attended high schools in their home country can attend it one more time in their host country. It is considered to be a mandatory part of cultural immersion.
There are many high school semester abroad programs. They offer different durations, and you are free to choose the option that satisfies you the most. For instance, the long-term exchange program usually lasts for an entire academic year. You can attend the school and live with two to three families in the host country. This enables you to get a greater understanding of their culture. The families will help you navigate through everyday life while you stay there. To ensure that you are perfectly safe, these programs do thorough background checks on the families before approving their requests. Additionally, some programs also offer you a monthly stipend and a dedicated counselor throughout the exchange. By studying abroad, you would be able to fully immerse yourself in the culture and traditions of another country.
Why Should You Live Abroad At Least Once?
Even spending a couple of months abroad can be life-affirming and a new experience. It will help you develop both personally as well as professionally. Here are some of the reasons why you should consider living abroad, even for a while.
1. It will help you experience new things and make memories. Materialistic things would not matter so much anymore.
2. You will learn to live in the moment and become more active in your life. You will stop waiting for things to happen and instead make them happen by taking proper actions.
3. You will be able to learn more about yourself and have a proper shift of perspectives.
4. You will become more confident and learn that you are capable of doing big things.
5. You will learn to relax. You will be away from expectations, and so, you will be making progress in your way.
6. You will be stepping out of your comfort zone. You will be thriving and facing new challenges as boldly as possible.
7. You will be surprised about your abilities and strengths.
8. You would not be letting excuses get to you. Since you have to be self-reliant, you will have more of an active role in your life.
9. You will see that anything is possible, and that will help you get more ambitious and driven to succeed.
10. After the initial months, you would become more flexible and feel at home.
11. You would be in a new place, which will help you experience new things and become more creative.
12. Traveling would help you cut off the superficial aspects of life and live on a profound and deeper level.
13. When you experience new things, it helps you think outside the box and become more adaptable.
14. You will learn two of the most valuable skills in life – self-reliance and the comfort of being alone for an extended period.
15. You will become more open and make new friends. You will be able to talk with random people and listen to their experiences.
16. You will embrace the uncertainty and be okay with it.
17. You will realize that the world is truly your oyster, and there are many things that you would be able to achieve if you just put your mind to it.
18. Making new friends from various backgrounds and cultures would help you have a worldly view of life and embrace the quality of living.
19. When you will let go of familiar things, you will notice that you can make more logical decisions than ever.
20. You will realize the importance of friendships and will be able to develop more meaningful relationships with people.
21. You will become more confident.
22. Going to a new country, even for a month or two, would expose you to a new language and culture. As a result, you would be able to master the language better.
23. You will learn that people are so much different from each other, and that is okay. You will learn to coexist with the differences and still be friends with them.
24. You will become more comfortable with spontaneous and unplanned circumstances. You will also find out new ways all by yourself to deal with those situations. You will be embracing the unexpected and say ‘yes’ to new things.
25. Networking in a foreign country would broaden your horizons and uplift your professional career in the long run.
Living abroad while studying will not only help you become adaptable to the academic world around you. It will also shape up your personality and nurture you to become a better and wholesome person in general. You will realize that the world has so much to offer to help you live a more meaningful life.