The first things that pop into anyone’s head when they hear about kids’ gifts are toys, candies, playsets, gaming consoles, and cute stationary or art supplies. But kid’s jewelry is last on the list. Many people think that kids and jewelry do not go hand in hand as they are carefree, as they should be, and are not responsible enough to look after expensive jewelry.
But despite these reasons, kids, especially little girls, love dressing up and tend to express an interest in jewelry and owning pieces. Kids wearing jewelry is not a new trend. Many different cultures love to adorn their children with jewelry and different accessories from a very young age. They also signify milestone moments such as first birthdays, first communions, and religious festivities. However, one needs to be very mindful of the kids’ safety and well-being before purchasing accessories or jewelry. Any jewelry comes with its own sets of risks such as choking, rashes, and irritation. It also should be age-appropriate and tasteful.
Here are a few dos and don’ts while picking up jewellery as a gift for kids.
- Pay close attention to the metal. It is important to make sure that the metal chosen does not cause any allergies or rashes. When making a purchase, it is advisable to opt for sterling silver, fourteen karat gold, gold plated jewelry, or platinum. While platinum may be a tad expensive, another option is enamel jewelry. It is inexpensive and comes in a variety of colors and shapes. They include stones with different colors and shapes and are a lovely option for kids.
- Consider how active the child is while purchasing jewelry. If a child is very active and fidgety, then a lightweight earring or a bracelet that can be securely clasped can be a good option. This is important because though children love particular types of jewelry such as charm bracelets, they may not be a practical option if they are very active as they get caught in other items or clothing.
- Less expensive is the way to go! Children being children are prone to misplacing or losing a lot of jewelry. We have all lost something or the other! This is why it is important to consider less expensive stones such as cubic zirconia. One can replace them after the child grows up.
- Kids’ gifts should be kids friendly. Do not gift adult jewelry. Kids’ jewelry is special as they are not over the top. Kids should not be wearing heavy dangling earrings or statement necklaces as they make the kids look older. The jewelry and accessories should be age-appropriate and tasteful.
- Avoid jewelry with sharp, pointy ends as they can get into clothing or poke and hurt the child. Some jewelry with jagged edges can also irritate the skin.
- Check the material of the accessories before purchasing. Young children, when compared to adults, absorb harmful chemicals such as cadmium, nickel sooner. And these toxic substances are often present in jewelry. Hence one should be very careful about the material of the jewelry. Furthermore, one should not give accessories consisting of small charms or trinkets to toddlers or infants as they tend to put them in their mouths.
Hopefully, these dos and don’ts will help while choosing the best gift for the kids!
Author bio: Helen Harry is a freelance writer and extremely fond of anything related to Digital Marketing and Business. She is writing Technologies as well as fiction, likes good music, loves her cat, and eats too much. More than anything, She loves to share the knowledge of Technology.